Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
Users Online: 267

 

Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Advertise Contacts Login 
     
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2015  |  Volume : 56  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 122-125

Screening for diabetes mellitus in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in tertiary care hospital in India


1 Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Karnataka Lingayat Education University's, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum, India
2 Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Physiotherapy, Karnataka Lingayat Education University's, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum, India

Correspondence Address:
Vinay Mahishale
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Karnataka Lingayat Education University's, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum - 590 010, Karnataka
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0300-1652.150699

Rights and Permissions

Background: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and diabetes mellitus (DM) are common and under diagnosed medical conditions in India. Prevalence of these chronic diseases are high both in rural and urban areas. However, exact prevalence of DM in Indian COPD patients in unclear. Co-morbid conditions like DM have great impact on the outcome of COPD in the form of severity, exacerbations, morbidity and mortality. Hence the present study objective was to screen COPD patients for DM. Results: A total of 1662 patients with COPD (Males = 1264, Female = 398) with mean age 58 ΁ 9.6 were screened for DM. Patients with known history of DM were 353 (21.24%) and were enrolled as "Known DM" cases. Remaining 1309 (78.76%) patients whose DM status was unclear were screened by random blood sugar (RBS). One-hundred and seventy-one subjects had RBS > 110 mg/dl. About 73 (4.39%) subjects had fasting blood sugar (FBS) > 126 mg/dl. They were considered as "Newly Diagnosed DM" cases. Total number of DM cases in the study including new and known was 426 (25.63%). Number of patients with deranged FBS (FBS between 110 mg/dl to126 mg/dl) was 84 (5.05%). Among the DM patients with COPD 168 (10.11%) had poor glycemic control with HbA1c > 8. Prevalence of DM in present study was 25.63%. Conclusion: Prevalence of DM in COPD patients in the present study is 25.63% when actively screened in tertiary care hospital. It is feasible and imperative to screen all COPD patients for DM in all health care facilities routinely.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2611    
    Printed67    
    Emailed2    
    PDF Downloaded117    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 2    

Recommend this journal